As temperature rises in the Philippines, so does the interest in Healthcare IT with more than 100 Healthcare IT leaders and enthusiasts converged together in Crowne Plaza Manila last week for the inaugural Healthcare IT Philippines Conference. Over the course of two days, senior level executives and leading experts addressed issues and challenges in hospital IT implementations, shared lessons learned from successful projects, and discussed trends and new enabling technologies that are driving healthcare IT to new heights.
Undersecretary Dr. Ted Herbosa of the Department of Health (DOH), gave the keynote address during the second day of the conference where he presented the updates on Philippines eHealth Strategic Framework & Plan 2013-17.
Here’s the keynote presentation of Usec Herbosa at the 2014 Healthcare IT Philippines:
Leadership & Governance
– Already created a National eHealth Steering Committee > composed of representatives/heads from DOST, DOH, CHED and PHILHEALTH. There is now a national body that directs and steers what the policies are for eHealth. It is very important to follow the policies set by this committee to understand how the industry/business should flow into the national eHealth strategic framework.
*Added the academe (UP Manila) to the National Steering Committee
*Added an advisory board from the private sector
– There are actually two groups that have been identified/commissioned > creation of standard development group and creation of data privacy and security group
– There is a National eHealth Technical Working Group > composed of IT experts who are already in the government
*12 participants completed COBIT Training
– Recently appointed a Project Manager for the implementation of the National eHealth Strategy
*Must read for healthcare stakeholders in Philippines — WHO ITU national eHealth strategy toolkit > where the national eHealth Strategy is based
*Good reference for healthcare stakeholders — COBIT framework > to understand how they are steering the national eHealth strategy to the COBIT framework
Standards and Interoperability
– Target is to make the Philippine Health Information Exchange (PHIE) operational by December 2014
– Creation of eHealth Knowledge Management System/portal (www.ehealth.ph)
– Approval for the creation of R&D experts group, policy experts group, mHealth experts group
– Accept offers of international consultants and in compliance with existing guidelines for international support
Legislation, Policy and Compliance
– Identified experts members (w/ names) from stakeholders for health data standards and privacy expert groups
– AO on Health Data Standards (Part I) has beed released by DOH
– Appointment of a PMO Team leader
– Commission a situationer and a development plan on knowledge and skills needed for eHealth to be fully operational
– Setting up of ICT infrastructure for the Food and Drug Administration
Services and Applications
– Prioritize the PHIE to enable all private and public sector applications to submit standards-based data to DOH
Check out our healthcare product, MEDCURIAL, and see how it helped some of the biggest hospitals in the country provide better patient outcomes.